A U.S. Marine from rural Crystal Hill, Virginia, Stacey Lamont Sydnor appeared to be fascinated by rhythm from the time he could use his hands to beat on his mother’s pots and pans. At the age of eleven, his grandmother bought him his first “gold sparkle” snare drum and he’s never stopped playing since.
Early on, he was influenced by the sounds of Traditional (Quartet) Gospel and his father’s love of old school soul and R&B (Johnny Taylor, James Brown, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes). While in elementary school, he joined the band, became classically trained, and learned to appreciate Big Band Jazz.
Under the tutelage of mentor, Damon Brown (www.batclefmusic.com), he went on to win multiple awards around the state of Virginia and became well known, becoming exceptionally popular with local Gospel Quartet groups in Southern Virginia and North Carolina. He also excelled in his new found love of Jazz, Theatre and Southern Rock.
He started touring professionally at the age of fifteen with Gospel artists, the Heavenly Five and the Pilgrim Jubilees of Chicago. He also performed as a drummer/percussionist for a variety of musicals to include: “Anything Goes, “Cowboys” and “Westside Story”. From there he went on to perform in the US Marine Corps Band, attaining the position of Principal Percussionist in a little under two years. While in the Marine Corps, he teamed up with fellow marine, Mike Corrado to form The Mike Corrado Band (www.mikecorrado.com). The band toured for eleven years now and has sold over 100,000 albums independently.
His resumé runs like a Who’s Who of, well, every possible genre of music.
He’s performed with:
- Pop/Country/Rock Stars: Seal, Trisha Yearwood, Daughtry, Starship, Hillary Duff, Robbie Williams, Michelle Williams (Destiny’s Child), Taylor Dayne, Mark McGrath (Sugar Ray), Bobby Brown, The Rembrandts, and Daniel Powter & Macy Gray.
- Hip Hop artists Sean “Diddy” Combs, Missy Elliot, Timbaland, Flo Rida, Busta Rhymes and Ice Cube.
- R&B and Soul artists Alicia Keys, Jermaine Jackson, Philip Bailey, Chrisette Michell, Keri Hilson, Layla Hathaway, Jamie Foxx, Bobby, Brown, Gladys Knight, Jill Scott, Melanie Fiona, Teedra Moses, Faith Evans, Stevie Wonder, Michelle Williams (Destiny’s Child), Macy Gray, Denise Williams, Shirley Murdoch, Tank, Avant.
- Motown/Funk/Soul Legends: The Jacksons, Earth Wind & Fire, George Clinton, Sly Stone, The Temptations, Heatwave, Bloodstone, Malo, The Delphonics, The Floaters, The Deele, Billy Paul, Percy Sledge, Peaches & Herb, The Intruders, the S.O.S. Band and Mandrill.
- Gospel Recording Artists: Deitrick Haddon, Donnie McClurkin, Fred Hammond, Ann Nesby, Damita Haddon, Tammi Haddon, The Soul Seekers and Yolanda Adams while serving in the music ministry of Bishop Noel Jones.
- Smooth Jazz Artists: Jonathan Butler, Keiko Matsui, The Late George Duke, Marcus Johnson, Althea Rene, Malcolm-Jamal Warner, Mike Phillips and the late Wayman Tisdale.
He is currently still working with The Jacksons & Philip Bailey of Earth Wind & Fire as well as a member of The Myron McKinley Trio!
Sponsored by Rhythm Traders